Hue – Vietnam’s former capital, is a city with full of trees and peaceful, quiet but no less exciting, crowded. Today, Hue city still preserved tombs, temples and many gardeners have a few hundred years old.
How to get there?
By air: If you want to go by plane, you can choose the destination airport of Da Nang or Phu Bai.
Phu Bai airport has daily flights to and from Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, but flights are often delayed due to bad weather in the rainy season (October to December). It takes you about 25 minutes to get to the center from the airport by taxi. Tip: You must find taxi phone numbers in Hue before getting started.
Da Nang airport is in Da Nang city and it takes about two hours by car from the Hai Van tunnel.
Read more: How to travel to Vietnam by air
From Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city, it takes about 12-14 hours
By Train: If you like to travel to Hue by railway, below is the railway line from Hanoi to Hue:
SE1: start Hanoi 19h to Hue at 7h57 next morning
SE3: start Hanoi 23h to Hue at 10h45 next day
SE5: start Hanoi 15h45 to Hue at 6h07 next day
SE7: start Hanoi 6H15 to Hue at 19h07 next day
TN1 (cheaper and slower): start Hanoi 10h05 to Hue at 1h13 next day
There are many hotels in Hue, depending on your budget to choose suitable hotel. Quality and service are good and you can rent a bicycle or motorbike at you in the hotels for traveling. Find your hotel at: List of Hotels in Hue.
Transportation and attractions in Hue
– You can rent motorcycles for between VND 80,000-120,000 to go discovery the ancient Citadel and many sights around the city. The tourist destination such as: Thien Mu Pagoda; tombs of Tu Duc, Minh Mang, Khai Dinh… which are far center from 5-15 km.
– You can ride a cyclo around and the Dai Noi and Hue Citadel. The cyclo price is cheap and drivers often enthusiastic introduce to the tourist attractions and shops, renowned restaurants.
– Beaches in Hue are: Lang Co beach (70 km from Hue city), Thuan An beach (12 km from Hue city). The beaches are pristine beaches, blue water, white sand and clean. Read more: Top 8 best places for summer in Hue
– At night, you can buy tickets on board traditional music and drop lights posted on the Huong river, price of ticket is from VND 80,000 – 120,000.
– At night, you can hire cyclo for traveling to Citadel and enjoy traditional dishes such as: Hue pig’s legs noodle, rice mussels, cakes, sweet soup, barbeque…
– Near Hue Citadel has many famous gown shop, you can come here to buy fabric, sewing book in one day.
– You can buy Royal tea at Le Huan street, “Me xung” and cakes at the Dong Ba market as a gift to friends and relatives.
Eating and drinking in Hue
– Biet Phu Thao Nhi: “bánh tráng phơi sương”, “vả trộn”, “rau càng cua trộn”, “cơm niêu cá kho tộ”…
– Con Hen: mussel rice, mussels noodles, sweet soup of corn
– Huyen Anh restaurant at K52 Kim Long: wet cake barbecue, barbecue noodle
– Me Theo restaurant at 64 Ba Trieu: “bún mắm nêm”
– No. 11 Pho Duc Chinh: “Nem lụi”, “bánh khoái”
– Hem sweet soup restaurant at 26 Hung Vuong street
Shopping places in Hue
In Hue City, the fashion shops, souvenir shops, galleries, art studio… concentrated in a few major streets such as Tran Hung Dao, Hung Vuong, Phan Dang Luu, Le Loi, Mai Thuc Loan… Read more: Address of Gallaries, Souvenir shops and specialty shop in Hue
Dong Ba Market is the address that you should not miss to visit to buy a few gifts for friends.